Thursday, May 6, 2010

Chile Verde


Happy Cinco de Mayo yesterday! I used my mother-in-law's recipe and a recipe I found on allrecipes.com to make this one.  It turned out sooooo good.  The pork was so tender and I put lots of lime in.  I love lime.

Ingredients:

1 3-ish lb pork roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 tsp cumin (didn't have any si I subbed chili powder and it was great)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 T oil
1 lb fresh tomatillos, husks removed and chopped
1 cup chopped onion
3 tsp grated lime peel
2 T lime juice (I just used 1 lime's worth of zest and juice and it was very limey)
4 cloves garlic, minced
Tortillas (corn or flour)
2 T fresh cilantro
Salsa verde (optional)

Trim fat from meat and cut into 1-inch cubes.  Sprinkle with cumin, salt and pepper.  Pour a little oil in a hot skillet and cook half the meat until browned.  Remove meat and cook the other half.  Place meat in 4-quart slow cooker.  Add tomatillos, onion, lime peel, lime juice, garlic, and salsa verde if desired.  Stir to combine.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4.  A few minutes before serving, stir in the cilantro.  Serve on tortillas with sour cream and shredded Monterey Jack cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment