Monday, June 14, 2010

Spicy Black Bean Salad


A couple Saturdays ago at the Gardener's Market here in Logan, one of the booths was giving out samples of this along with the recipe.  I really liked it, so I grabbed a recipe card.  I've been collecting the ingredients that I didn't have since then and we had it for dinner tonight.  It's great for a vegetarian meal, but might be better as a side.  I think Derek was wondering where the meat was tonight.  It makes a lot though, so you might want to halve it!

Ingredients:

Salad:
2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups frozen corn, thawed (I used 1 can of corn and it was just fine)
1 cup celery, chopped
3/4 cup green onion, chopped
2 cups tomatoes, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Brown rice or wheat berries cooked and cooled (about 6 cups)

Dressing:
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tsp Tabasco sauce
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Combine black beans, corn, celery, green onion, tomatoes, green pepper and cilantro in a large bowl.  Whisk together ingredients for the dressing and pour over bean mixture.  Add pre-cooked and cooled rice.  Serve well chilled.  Salad can be eaten plain or piled on a piece of lettuce to create a delicious wrap.  (Derek and I also thought it would be good on a tortilla or with tortilla chips.)

No comments:

Post a Comment