Monday, January 25, 2010

Snickers Cake


(I used my old camera, so sorry for the poor quality picture!)

I made this for my mother-in-law's birthday last week. It was my first time making it, so I was kind of nervous for other people to eat it because I didn't know how it would turn out. The verdict: It was so good! The caramel made it really moist, and how could you go wrong with so much chocolate?

Ingredients:

1 German chocolate cake mix
1 lb Kraft caramels (the bag of caramels is 14 oz which worked just fine)
1/2 c margarine
1 c milk
6 oz chocolate chips
1 c nuts, chopped
Milk chocolate frosting

Prepare cake mix as directed. Pour 1/2 the batter in greased and floured 9x13 pan. Bake 20 minutes. While cake is baking, melt margarine, caramels, and milk in an iron pan or microwave. Blend until smooth. (You can use caramel ice cream topping instead, but it's not as good.) Pour caramel over baked cake, then sprinkle nuts and chocolate chips over caramel. Pour remaining batter over that and bake 20 minutes more. Cool and frost.

*Note: Next time I will probably use less milk and let the caramel mixture cool a little. It seemed really runny to me and most of it just soaked into the cake - tasted great, but I wanted a little more caramel flavor. Also, when I baked it the second time it didn't seem like it was done in the middle, so I ended up cooking it for 10 minutes longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment