Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Chicken Koorma


Oh my, this was yummy!  Although most people don't like the way curry flavored dishes make their house smell, I do.  And my house has smelled like curry all day!  The flavors are kind of strong, but if you like Indian-type food, this is a great dish.  I only used 2 average-sized chicken breasts and it made quite a bit.  It would easily serve 4 people.  I also didn't have a cinnamon stick so I sprinkled a little bit of cinnamon in it and it tasted great to me.  Recipe from A Year of Slow Cooking.

Ingredients:

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken cut into chunks (mine was frozen, so I cut it up about an hour before serving)
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
1 large onion, coarsely chopped (I'm not a huge onion fan, so I used about half a small one and it was fine for me)
1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes and juice (I only had diced tomatoes w/ chipotle so I put about half the can in.  Derek doesn't really like cooked tomatoes anyway, so it was a good compromise.)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp salt
1 cinnamon stick (or a sprinkling of cinnamon)
1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt (to add later)
white or brown rice for serving

Use a 4-quart slow cooker.  Put the chicken in the bottom of the pot.  Add potato and onion.  Pour in the tomatoes and add garlic and all spices.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4.  Discard the cinnamon stick and stir in the sour cream or yogurt.  Serve over rice.

This would also be really good with naan or pita bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment