Monday, January 10, 2011

Pineapple Salsa Chicken


I'm babysitting a cute baby girl every Monday and Thursday this semester, so I've decided that those will be my crockpot days.  I found a bunch of new recipes here that I'll be trying.  Today's recipe, however, is from Mel's Kitchen Cafe (formerly known as My Kitchen Cafe).  I love this site.  Her food always looks so yummy.

Anyways, this was very good.  I only had pineapple chunks, so I used that instead of the crushed pineapple.  I think it would have tasted more pineapple-y if I used crushed, but if you're looking for just a hint of pineapple flavor, go with the chunks.  Or rings cut into chunks.

Ingredients (directly quoted from the website):


6 fresh or frozen chicken breasts
1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) can white beans, like Great Northern, rinsed and drained
2 cups mild or medium salsa
Tortillas or tortilla chips and garnishes, like sour cream, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, etc.
Place the chicken in the crock pot and add the rest of the ingredients. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Using tongs, remove the chicken to a cutting board and shred into bite-size pieces. Mix the chicken back in with the rest of the ingredients. The mixture will be fairly soupy – I like to drain off some of the excess liquid before serving, especially if we are eating it in tortillas, so it doesn’t make everything soggy. Serve with tortilla chips and garnishes, like tomatoes, cheese, avocado, sour cream, etc.
*Freezable Option: I freeze the leftovers in freezer-safe ziploc bags and either place the frozen portion in my crockpot for a few hours the day I want to serve it or thaw the night before in the refrigerator and reheat on low in a saucepan.

No comments:

Post a Comment