Friday, March 5, 2010

No-Bake Chocolate Cookies


These have been a favorite of mine for years. When I was in jr. high I would make them just about every day. Then after we ran out of peanut butter, I would just make them without it. I guess it got to be so much that finally my mom said I needed to slow down. We decided that once a month was a good limit. Since we've been married I don't even make them that often, but I should! They're easy and a good chocolate fix to make when you're out of chocolate chips.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup margarine or butter
1/2 cup milk
2 cups sugar
4 T cocoa
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup peanut butter (I usually use more like 1/3 cup)
3 cups of oats (you'll need about 1/2 cup more than this, but start with 3 cups to make sure you don't put in too much)

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the milk and sugar and stir until dissolved. Add the salt and cocoa and stir until dissolved.

Bring to a boil and boil 1 minute (very important not to boil longer. I actually take it off the heat at about 45 seconds because it will continue to boil for a few seconds afterwards).

Add the vanilla and peanut butter and stir until peanut butter is melted. Stir in the oats.

Drop by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet covered in aluminum foil. Allow them to cool and harden before eating. (I like to put them in the freezer. They cool faster and I think they just taste better cold. They don't freeze solid, so they're still chewy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment