Friday, March 5, 2010

Stuffed Crunchy French Toast


I got this recipe from Tiff's blog. It was SO good. I loved the crunch and it was pretty sweet, so it fit in with us perfectly.

Ingredients:

8 Slices of bread
4 Tablespoons cream cheese
4 Teaspoons orange marmalade
2 Large eggs
Zest and juice of 1 orange
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 Cups bran flakes cereal
1-2 Tablespoons butter

Spread 4 bread slices with 1 tablespoon cream cheese each. Spread the other 4 slices with 1 teaspoon marmalade each. Combine to make 4 sandwiches.

Whisk eggs, orange zest and juice and vanilla in a shallow bowl. Place bran flakes in a bag and crush. Pour crumbs onto a plate. Dip both sides of each sandwich in the egg mixture, then in the crumbs, gently pressing the crumbs onto the bread.

Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the sandwiches in batches until the outsides are golden brown and the insides are melted. 3-4 minute on each side. Add more butter if needed.

Top with powder sugar and syrup.

*I did change a couple of things because I didn't have any orange marmalade on hand and I didn't feel like going back to the store. I used some strawberry freezer jam instead, and used a little milk to mix in with the eggs instead of the oj and zest (although I bet the orange/strawberry combo would have been really good). I also didn't have bran flakes but I did have corn flakes, so I used those.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you made this!! I thought it was pretty dang good too.

    ReplyDelete