Saturday, October 16, 2010

Beef and Bean Chile Verde


I've had chile verde made with pork before, but never with beef and beans.  This was really good.  Unfortunately I didn't have 93% lean ground beef, so it wasn't quite as low calorie/fat as it could have been.  It think I got it on Food Network.  Their nutrition facts state: 307 calories, 8 g fat, 27 g protein, 6 g fiber.  Of course if you put it in a tortilla with cheese, you add more calories.

Ingredients:

1 lb 93% lean ground beef
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped (I never use a whole onion.  I maybe used half, and it was plenty.)
6 cloves garlic, chopped (I used 4 or 5)
1 T chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (I used Texas Champagne, which is a cayenne pepper sauce)
1 16-oz jar green salsa, green enchilada sauce or taco sauce (I used green salsa)
1/4 cup water
1 15-oz can pinto or kidney beans

Cook beef, bell pepper and onion in a large saucepan over medium heat, crumbling the meat with a wooden spoon, until meat is browned, 8-10 minutes.  Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and cayenne; cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds.  Stir in salsa and water; bring to a simmer.  Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.  Stir in beans and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment