Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Black Bean Croquettes with Fresh Salsa


I keep trying to plug my memory card into the computer, but it's not working, so this picture is from the Food Network website.

Another healthy recipe from Food Network.  The recipe said that a serving size was 2 croquettes, but I only ended up eating one.  And because I only ate one I might have had a few Sour Patch Kids a couple hours later.  Anyways, they had a great flavor, but I had a hard time eating just beans (it probably would have been better with rice or something), so I put it in a tortilla with a little cheese and it was great!  Also, since I (and my husband) only ate one and this recipe makes 8, I will probably halve it next time.

Ingredients:

2 15-oz cans black beans, rinsed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup plain dry breadcrumbs, divided
2 cups finely chopped tomatoes
2 scallions, sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp chili powder, divided
1/4 tsp salt
1 T olive oil
1 avocado, diced

Preheat oven to 425.  Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.

Mash black beans and cumin with a fork (I used a potato masher) in a large bowl until no whole beans remain.  Stir in corn and 1/4 cup breadcrumbs.  Combine tomatoes, scallions, cilantro, 1/2 tsp chili powder and salt in a medium bowl.  Stir 1 cup of the tomato mixture into the bean mixture.

Mix the remaining 1/3 cup breadcrumbs, oil and the remaining 1/2 tsp chili powder in a small bowl until the breadcrumbs are coated with oil.  Divide the bean mixture into 8 scant 1/2-cup balls.  Lightly press each bean ball in the breadcrumb mixture, turning to coat.  Place on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake the croquettes until heated through and the breadcrumbs are golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.  Stir avocado into the remaining tomato mixture.  Serve with the croquettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment